William A. Schneider (Bill) is an accomplished professional artist, but also a lifelong student of art, continually learning through study of the works of other acclaimed fine artists. Bill is a signature or master member of many prestigious professional artist organizations.
Bill formally studied art at the American Academy of Art (located in downtown Chicago, Illinois).
Since then, he has participated in workshops with Carolyn Anderson, Dan Gerhartz, Scott Burdick, Harley Brown, Scott Christensen, Huihan Liu, David Leffel, and Richard Schmid. He credits the many hours spent studying and copying masterworks by Nicolai Fechin with freer brushwork and refining his approach to edges.
Intense study of the works of J.W. Waterhouse in Montreal led to an “epiphany” in his understanding of composition.
William exclaims, “The wonderful thing about art is that you can always get better. I view myself as a perpetual student!”
Bill is a member of many prestigious organizations. He was awarded signature status in the Oil Painters of America (OPA). The Pastel Society of America has recognized him as a "Master Pastelist" and the IAPS (The International Association of Pastel Societies) has named him to the Masters’ Circle. The American Impressionist Society (AIS) has also made him a Master Signature Member (AISM).
William A. Schneider: Composition Secrets for Figure Painting
• Capturing Emotion, American Artist Magazine, February 2001
• Art Values, Southwest Art Magazine, November 2003
• It’s About Meaning, Art of the West Magazine, November 2004
• International Showcase of Master Pastel Painters, International Artist Magazine, Oct. 2004
• Master Portrait Artists’ Showcase, International Artist Magazine, February 2005
• William A. Schneider, The Pastel Journal, February 2005
• Start Your Collection, Southwest Art Magazine, April 2005
• Self-Portraits: Journey Through The Looking Glass, Art-Talk Magazine April 2005
• 2007Guidebook of Art, (Cover image) Art of the West Magazine 2007
• The Eyes Have It, The Pastel Journal, January 2008
• Painting the Mouth, American Artist Magazine, March 2008
• The Studio of William Schneider, Art of the West Magazine, July 2009
• Competition Spotlight, The Artist’s Magazine, April 2010
• Strategies to Organize the Elements of Your Paintings, Workshop Magazine, Fall 2010
• The Good Guys – Masculine portraits from six talented artists, Southwest Art Magazine, January 2011
• A Portrait Demonstration by William A. Schneider, OPA, PSA, International Artist Magazine, June / July 2012
• Painting With Light, Fine Art Connoisseur Magazine, September – October 2013
• Brushing Up, The Artists Magazine, June 2014
• Capturing Emotions, International Artist Magazine, June-July 2015
Oil Landscapes, Schneider, Hampton, Obermeyer, & Short, Walter Foster Publishing 2002
The Art of Oil Painting, Walter Foster Publishing 2003
Pastel II, William Schneider, Walter Foster Publishing 2004
How did you paint that? 100 ways to paint People & Figures, International Artist Publishing, 2005
Pure Color: The Best of Pastel, North Light Books, 2005
Videos (Liliedahl Video Productions)
Princess – Composition in Warm Light
Design Secrets of the Masters; The key to a Successful Painting
Teaching the Limited Palette Techniques of Anders Zorn
Inner Flame --Composing Multiple Figures in Low, Warm Light
Nicolai Fechin Painting Secrets
Pastel Painting Secrets with William A. Schneider
Learn more about William Schneider and see his amazing portfolio of work.
Visit the website: https://schneiderart.com
Photo: On the Road to Mandalay, Oil on Linen, 24" x 18".